We love parched fruit in season and our local greengrocer has recent had some wonderfully juicy pears so try out this recipe, gently poached and carefully spiced in Atlantic Dry Mead and honey. This dessert is something special.
4 pears, peeled, cut into halves, seeds removed
2 cups of Atlantic Dry Mead
2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
1/2 tablespoons of honey to taste
- In a large saucepan, stir together the mead, water, honey and spices. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the pear halves making sure the liquid is covering them.
- Poach on a low heat for 8-10 minutes until tender but still firm.
- Remove the pears and serve on their own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Do not discard the precious liquid! Sieve into a heatproof glass and enjoy this delicious mulled mead.