Boozy Chocolate Brownie Recipe
You probably know how well our Wild Red Mead goes with good quality chocolate, right? We decided to experiment with adding some mead into a chocolate recipe. The results were amazing! Fudgy and boozy brownies. Cut into small pieces so they last longer (theoretically!)
We added walnuts from our local beekeeper’s trees but you can leave them out or use other nuts if you choose.
175ml Wild Red Mead
60g dried cranberries (or other dried fruit of your choice)
150g plain flour
180g dark chocolate
3 large eggs
250g caster sugar
40g cocoa powder
60g chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Soak the cranberries or dried fruit for at least 30 minutes in the Wild Red Mead or until the fruit plumps up
2. Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a 20cmx20cm baking tray
3. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time
5. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and mix
6. Add the flour and salt and mix well
7. Mix in the cranberries and Wild Red Mead.
8. Fold in the walnuts if using
9. Pour the mixture into your baking tray and bake for about 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with small fudgy crumbs on it.
10. Take the tray and cool rapidly in a sink of cold water. This preserves the fudgy centre and stops it over cooking.
11. Cool in the tray before cutting. (I know it’s hard to wait!)
12. Serve with a generous glass of Wild Red Mead.