Boozy Mead and Chocolate BrowniesWe tried adding some mead into a chocolate recipe. The results were amazing! Fudgy and boozy brownies. Serve with a generous glass of Wild Red Mead.
- 175ml Wild Red Mead
- 60g dried cranberries (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2tsp salt
- 115g butter
- 180g dark chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa powder
- 60g chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Soak the cranberries or dried fruit for at least 30 minutes in the Wild Red Mead or until the fruit plumps up
2. Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a 20cmx20cm baking tray
3. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time
5. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and mix
6. Add the flour and salt and mix well
7. Mix in the cranberries and Wild Red Mead.
8. Fold in the walnuts if using
9. Pour the mixture into your baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with small fudgy crumbs on it.
10. Take the tray and cool rapidly in a shallow sink or bigger tray of cold water. This preserves the fudgy centre and stops it over cooking.
11. Cool in the tray before cutting. (We know, it’s hard to wait!)
We added walnuts from our local beekeeper’s trees but you can leave them out or use other nuts such as pistachios if you prefer.