Neven’s Crab, Mead and Sweetcorn ChowderInspired by Neven Maguire'sCrab and Corn Chowder, we swapped out white wine for our Atlantic Dry White Port Barrel Aged Mead.
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small leek, diced
- 50g smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh or dried thyme
- 150ml Atlantic Dry White Port Barrel Aged Mead
- 750ml fish or vegetable stock
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 200g sweetcorn, tinned or frozen
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 300ml cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 400g cooked Irish Crab Meat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- brown bread, to serve
- Heat a heavy-based pan. Melt the butter and add the onion, leek, bacon and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not coloured.
- Pour in the mead and allow it to bubble down, then pour in the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes to the stock mixture and simmer for another 8–10 minutes, until tender. Add in the sweetcorn and stir through.
- Mix the cornflour in a small bowl with a little water, then stir it into the soup. Simmer for 1 minute, until thickened, then stir in the cream. Add the parsley and the crab meat, then season to taste. Allow to warm through, stirring occasionally.
- Ladel the chowder into warmed bowls to serve along with brown bread.
Rich and peppery with a spicy depth, we think this dish is perfection, but that could just be us fishing for compliments..Neven Maguire